Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Boy Graduates

Last week was spent making our way to graduation. Bear won't fly, so we drove, 2200 miles roundtrip.

We started in LA. I was going to take sock pictures, but I was afraid the smog would affect them. Our friend Frodo and Bilbo have a gorgeous house that is a little slice of heaven, complete with overproductive peach tree and waterfall/pond with koi. Heaven I tell you. Two days of relaxation, conversation, fun and yarn crawl. There is just something about having a non-knitting friend that will drive you to yarn shops because it's what you like to do. We also went to the fashion institute's student store, where I scored a bunch of bobbin lace and a cone of lace weight yarn. Hideous color, unknown composition, but perfect for that design project you're not sure is going to work and you don't want to ruin good yarn on.

Then it was off to Tucson, to see the Boy graduate. The relationship to the kids is complicated. I gave birth, but my mom adopted and raised them. I'm more like a sister to them and act accordingly. As previously discussed, I am to be a grandmother. It's official. I'll be called Mimi sometime in the next 4-6 weeks. Here's the proof:

We got to meet the Girlfriend of the Boy. She is sweet, intelligent, driven and knows what she wants to do. She even sticks up for the Girl when the Boy is being mean to her (as brothers often are). We also attended graduation. Boy submitted more out of self-preservation than desire to actually walk. He doesn't see the need. He could just show up at the office the next morning and pick up that stupid piece of paper. My mom wouldn't have it. So he walked.
The cheesy grin says it all. He leaves June 11 for the Marines. We wish him all the best.

After we left Tucson, we decided to go to Vegas for a honeymoon. On the way was the Hoover Dam.
Other photos were taken for color purposes, I see some hand-dyed sock yarn coming. The colors of the mountains were breathtaking.

On to Vegas, where we stayed at the Luxor, in a pyramid spa suite. There is something decadent about a hot tub in the room that overlooks the strip with one-way glass windows. Massges at the spa there, Nurture, we wonderful and much needed. Cirque show 'O' was fabulous, though devoid of the actual story which I've come to expect from Cirque d'Soleil. And the seats were to small. Other than that and the smoke, it was wonderful. At least now we can say we've done Vegas. In the future, if I want to see Cirque, I think we'll go to the City to do it.

No comments: